Lake Tahoe Rafting & Truckee River Rafting Area Info
- Local Merchants/Restaurants
- Hotels/Motels/Bed & Breakfast
- Public Transportation
- Pet sitting/boarding
- Other Visitor Information
- Granite Chief store - Our meeting location. For last minute needs, like eye glass retainers, sunscreen, visors, footwear. Also a great resource if you return for skiing during the winter months.
- Tacos Jalisco - great place for lunch (our guides favorite) - right turn out of Granite Chief.
- In the Safeway Shopping center East (left) on Donner Pass Rd, Port of Subs, Panda Express, and Round Table Pizza. Dairy Queen is across Donner Pass Rd.
- On Deerfield - South of meeting location and right off Hwy 89S towards Tahoe City is McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and Subway try the Truckee Bagel for breakfast or lunch (great smoothies and deli).
- Downtown Truckee - Follow Donner Pass Rd. east (left), great burgers, fries and milkshakes at Burger Me and some more upscale dining places like Dragonfly & Moody’s Bistro.
The closest lake side lodging is in Kings Beach 20 minutes S. Tahoe City and Incline Village are just 30 minutes away. For casinos and more bustling night life, Reno is 35-40 minutes to the east and South Lake Tahoe is approx. 1.25 hrs to the south.
Numerous camp sites along the Truckee River corridor and at Prosser & Boca Reservoirs, some with no reservations. To reserve camp sites (which is highly recommended during the peak season) go towww.recreation.gov/. Select CA and Tahoe as the park or facility for the best range of options.
- Donner Memorial State Historic Park - (530) 582-7892
For bus shuttle transportation services covering the North & West shores of Lake Tahoe and Truckee, from the Reno Airport and points in between, check out www.northlaketahoeexpress.com and www.laketahoetransit.com.
- Shuttle Around Tahoe - (530) 318-9294. Anyone, anytime, anywhere! Shuttles to trailheads, scenic sites and recreational areas in and near Lake Tahoe.
- Truckee River Taxi - (530) 386-3935. Providing airport shuttle service, group/party shuttles, hourly service available.
We love dogs and take them on the river when we can, but that is not always possible on commercial rafting trips. Fortunately there are some great places in the area that will care for your dog while you raft. These places are not just vet kennels and will provide fun for your dog while you are on the river.
- Canine Country - (530) 587-7807. Located in Truckee, day care & over night in cage free environment.
- Truckee-Tahoe Pet Lodge - (530) 582-7268. Located in Truckee, day and various overnight accommodations for both cats and dogs.
- Tahoe Tails & Trails - (775) 580-7121. Located in Stateline, NV (South Lake Tahoe), doggy day care, kennel, boarding & pet sitting services.
- Pet Sitters Directory for locations around the lake for dog walking, pet sitting & other services
Activities include mountain biking, hiking, golf, fishing, kayaking and motor boating on Lake Tahoe. Check out www.tahoeactivities.com for some more information. The town of Truckee has a rich history and the chamber (see below) has maps for a walking tour of downtown and there are many interesting shops, restaurants, and wine tasting. Area events include the fireworks display for July 4th, and Music & Shakespeare Festivals in July & August.
- Donner Memorial State Historic Park - (530) 582-7892.
- Truckee-Donner Chamber of Commerce - (530) 587-2757 or 866-443-2027
California Whitewater Rafting - Lake Tahoe and Truckee River Rafting