Lake Tahoe Rafting & Truckee River Rafting Area Info
- Local Merchants/Restaurants
- Hotels/Motels/Bed & Breakfast
- Public Transportation
- Pet sitting/boarding
- Horseback Riding
- Other Visitor Information
- Granite Chief store - Our meeting location. For last minute needs, like eye glass retainers, sunscreen, visors, footwear. Also a great resource if you return for skiing during the winter months.
- Tacos Jalisco - great place for lunch (our guides favorite) - right turn out of Granite Chief.
- In the Safeway Shopping center East (left) on Donner Pass Rd, Port of Subs, Panda Express, and Round Table Pizza. Dairy Queen is across Donner Pass Rd.
- On Deerfield - South of meeting location and right off Hwy 89S towards Tahoe City is McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and Subway try the Truckee Bagel for breakfast or lunch (great smoothies and deli).
- Downtown Truckee - Follow Donner Pass Rd. east (left), great burgers, fries and milkshakes at Burger Me and some more upscale dining places like Dragonfly & Moody’s Bistro.
The closest lake side lodging is in Kings Beach 20 minutes S. Tahoe City and Incline Village are just 30 minutes away. For casinos and more bustling night life, Reno is 35-40 minutes to the east and South Lake Tahoe is approx. 1.25 hrs to the south.
Numerous camp sites along the Truckee River corridor and at Prosser & Boca Reservoirs, some with no reservations. To reserve camp sites (which is highly recommended during the peak season) go towww.recreation.gov/. Select CA and Tahoe as the park or facility for the best range of options.
- Donner Memorial State Historic Park - (530) 582-7892
For bus shuttle transportation services covering the North & West shores of Lake Tahoe and Truckee, from the Reno Airport and points in between, check out www.northlaketahoeexpress.com and www.laketahoetransit.com.
- Shuttle Around Tahoe - (530) 318-9294. Anyone, anytime, anywhere! Shuttles to trail heads, scenic sites and recreational areas in and near Lake Tahoe.
- Truckee River Taxi - (530) 386-3935. Providing airport shuttle service, group/party shuttles, hourly service available.
We love dogs and take them on the river when we can, but that is not always possible on commercial rafting trips. Fortunately there are some great places in the area that will care for your dog while you raft. These places are not just vet kennels and will provide fun for your dog while you are on the river.
- Canine Country - (530) 587-7807. Located in Truckee, day care & over night in cage free environment.
- Truckee-Tahoe Pet Lodge - (530) 582-7268. Located in Truckee, day and various overnight accommodations for both cats and dogs.
- Tahoe Tails & Trails - (775) 580-7121. Located in Stateline, NV (South Lake Tahoe), doggy day care, kennel, boarding & pet sitting services.
- Pet Sitters Directory for locations around the lake for dog walking, pet sitting & other services
There are off-leash dog parks around Tahoe and Truckee. Visit Dog Day in the Park for more information and locations.
There are many horseback riding facilities in both North Lake and South Lake Tahoe. These are a great combination with rafting trips as they can be short 1-2 hour rides. Here is a list of facilities:
- Piping Rock Horses - (530) 582-6780. Private Trail Rides, Ages 7+, Day Care available with critter farm for younger kids. 12318 Union Mills Rd Truckee, CA 96161
- Heavenly Hoofprints - (775) 291-0319. Private Instructional Trail Rides. 2365 Eastlake Blvd New Washoe City, NV 89704
- Sheridan Creek Equestrian Center - (775) 265-7371. Private rides for ages 4+. 1-2 hours and can be 1 hr. lesson + 1 hr. ride. 551 Centerville Lane, Gardnerville, NV, 89460
- Zephyr Cove Stables - (775) 588-5664. Guided Horseback Trails Rides Daily AND Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Rides! Minimum of 10 Bookings for Meal Rides. 825 Hwy 50 Zephyr Cove, NV 89413
Activities include mountain biking, hiking, golf, fishing, kayaking and motor boating on Lake Tahoe. Check out www.tahoeactivities.com for some more information. The town of Truckee has a rich history and the chamber (see below) has maps for a walking tour of downtown and there are many interesting shops, restaurants, and wine tasting. Area events include the fireworks display for July 4th, and Music & Shakespeare Festivals in July & August.
- Donner Memorial State Historic Park - (530) 582-7892.
- Truckee-Donner Chamber of Commerce - (530) 587-2757 or 866-443-2027
Gary Air provides exceptional Economical Air Taxi / Air Charter Services to the smaller airports in Lake Tahoe and to/From major California and Nevada airports including San Francisco and Reno. 408.805.IFLY (4359)
California Whitewater Rafting - Lake Tahoe and Truckee River Rafting